To begin processing the samples you collected, you will first need to take out the Detection Buffer and Detection Solution from your refrigerated storage area. The Detection buffer is used to assist with the recovery of sick or dying cells and to help with the neutralization of any cleaners/sanitizers that may have been picked up in the sample. The Detection Solution is a phage cocktail designed specifically for listeria species testing.
To process your sponges:
- Pour the Detection Solution into the detection buffer bottle (Make sure both are at room temperature). Close the bottle tightly and mix by swirling gently 5-10 times.
- For each sponge bag, squeeze out as much liquid as you can from the sponge inside of the bag and remove the liquid using a 10mL serological pipette and motorized pipette controller.
- Transfer this liquid into the corresponding pre-labeled 10mL transport tube and place the tube into the 15 ml Tube Rack. Ensure the tube cap is tight and secure.
- Using a new 10mL serological pipette and motorized pipette controller, add 6mL of the Detection Buffer to the bag.
- Squeeze the sponge 3x to get the liquid into the sponge.
- Close the bag by rolling the top of the bag down and secure it using the flexible tabs. Place the bag in the incubator at 35C.